Monday, 22 January 2018
What Makes Elderly Home Care Services in Singapore Tick?
The elderly sometimes go through a series of illnesses and diseases. They often need someone to take good care of them in their old age so that they can maintain good health and add more years to their lives. With the highly demanding job environment, it is often difficult for families to stay at home and take care of their loved elderly parents or relatives. As a result, they are left no option but to abandon these senior citizens in lonely homes with no one to take care of them. However, this does not need to happen anymore. As a citizen of Singapore, you can seek the help of elderly home care services to help you take care of your loved ones in the comfort of your home.
Who Needs Elderly Home Care?
Moving home from a hospital especially after a long period of illness in a healthcare facility can be challenging for the elderly. They often need help to cope with the loneliness and post-discharge challenges. If your regular helper who ensures things are in order is away on a personal or business assignment and you need someone to stand with you through the tough times following discharge from the hospital, you could get in touch with your most convenient elderly home care services in Singapore to get the help you need.
What Makes an Elderly Home Care Services Tick?
In this industry, reliability is a very important factor to consider when seeking the services of a home care facility. Not everyone is as reliable as they seem. This means that you have to do your research to ensure you get the best home care service before you contract them to do the job. You care for your loved ones and one of the best things you can give them at this time is a reliable home care service company.
Not every individual or family wants the same bundle of services. Every elderly person is different, with unique needs, ailments and requirements. This makes it even more important to keenly identify the kind of service needed. It is also important to understand that each senior citizen should be treated according to his or her unique needs, which must be met for him or her to live a fulfilling life. In this regard, the possible areas of service include:
- Feeding: This is perhaps one of the most important because food is a basic need
- Companionship: Loneliness can lead to depression and a compromised immune system
- Personal Hygiene: Poor personal hygiene can lead to deteriorated health condition
- Mind Stimulating Activities: The minds of the elderly need to stay active and stimulated
- Medical Reminders: The elderly are very forgetful people and need someone to remind them to take their medicine
It can be very disappointing if you leave your loved one with a care service provider only to receive substandard or below-average service. An organization that takes employees through rigorous training is a good sign they offer professionals service. In addition, such organizations perform thorough background checks of their potential employees to ensure they employ the best people for the job. Therefore, be keen on how the organization handles their clients before entrusting them with your loved one. In this day and age the importance of professionalism cannot be overlooked. Below are some of the reasons you should deal with professionals:
- Background Check: Professional elderly home care services perform thorough background checks on their potential employees to ensure they do not have any criminal records and can therefore perform the duties assigned to them with utmost professionalism.
- CPR Certification: Any professional home care organization will demand proof of up-to-date CPR certification before they consider hiring any employee to join their team.
- In-Person Interview: Not all trained caregivers can provide great service. Professional organizations will thoroughly screen for the right personality and competency. Long interviews allow for analysis of scenario-based behavior.
- Caregiver Certification and Training: In Singapore, AIC-certified caregiving training is very important.
- TB Screening: Everyone knows that the elderly is a vulnerable population because most of these individuals have compromised immune systems due to poor health and old age. This means they can easily contract tuberculosis if exposed to such pathogens. Professional caregiving organizations ensure that their potential employees undergo mandatory TB screening to ensure they are safe to
handle the elderly.
Nursing Procedures in Home Caregiving
Dealing with patients, especially children and the elderly, can be a very demanding task. It requires professional training, experience and expertise to handle the range of challenging roles and responsibilities that come with it. Well-trained nurses are competent enough to handle the following elderly home care nursing procedures:
- Wound Dressing: To provide relief for the patient and promote quick healing
- Administration of Injections: Some elderly persons suffer from one or more conditions and may require some injections a few times a day as a way of medication.
- Urinary Cathetherization: This is especially common among the female elderly patients
- Airway Suctioning
- Inserting the Naso-feeding Tube: Not everyone can person this insertion correctly. Only professionals can be trusted to perform insertion of the tubes properly.
- Removal of Sutures
- Stoma Care
In your quest to find the best elderly home care service to help you take great care of your elderly father, grandfather, uncle, brother or any other relative, experience is a factor you cannot ignore. The more experienced the caregiver the more you can trust that they will offer the best service because they have been doing this for longer. Vast knowledge and experience in the field also means they are well-equipped to deal with the various challenges that come with the job.
Elderly home care service providers are there to offer a listening ear and a helping hand. If you are looking for a caregiver in Singapore then it is advisable to take your time and do your due diligence to ensure that you are entrusting your sick loved one with a service provider that can competently take care of the elderly. Perhaps the best place to begin is to ask your friends, relatives and colleagues for recommendations before you can settle on one that you feel can be trusted to deliver excellent service.